Thursday 1 April 2010

Sipping cappuccinos, strolling in piazzas, eating pizzas...sweet living in Padova


With a bit of rest, and the church bells of Padova’s San Antonio’s Basillica calling me to rise on Thursday morning, I was ready to roll out and explore the medieval town before me. Unlike an Italian city with “many tourist attractions,” Padova is a completely untouched gem of a city, and its piazzas are subtle and understated, yet still glorious in architecture and alive with a community buzz. In her own right, Padova has a lot to offer to art lovers, with Giotto’s masterpiece of a chapel, and the Prato della Valle is a staple to anyone interested in Italian culture.

But, even in this more tranquil and personable city, there is a vivacious sense of Italian life and culture everywhere. There are cyclists, strollers, school children and mothers with carriages rolling down the cobblestone streets as soon as you step outside your door. In fact, as you approach each piazza (of three main ones), you can almost feel the square bursting with life even before you see what’s going on in the middle; and somehow, coming up to them from those narrow private streets of slender alleyways and little shops, it is always surprising to suddenly be in the midst of market vendors, fruit sellers and artisans. The people of Padova are polite and serene, but they still love to celebrate homegrown food and handmade goods on a sunny day with enthusiasm and excitement.

After taking time to stroll around in the sunshine, I got a bit lost near the main high street, Via Roma, and found myself in front of a lovely canal, with an exquisite pastry shop next door. I was sold immediately on Padovian pastry as I tried a croissant with a smooth and liquidy orange marmalade in the middle. Made my morning, changed my life.

After strolling down to Christine’s piazza to meet her for lunch after her class, I used my downtime to do a little writing in the sunshine on an old stone fountain. Lovely J

Then, I met Christine and her good friend for lunch, and I had my first phenomenal pizza experience. With such great company and exquisite food before me, life for me was really truly sweet (and savory!). I gobbled down a piece of the artichoke, ham, olive and cheese pizza that Christine ordered, and in that first bite, I knew that the promise of unforgettable and incomparable pizza from the land of Italy wasn’t something that my favorite pizza place anywhere else could ever replicate.

With the rest of the sunny afternoon, Christine and I strolled along the main landmarks of Padova, stopping to sip on cappuccinos in local places, and trying my first gelato of the trip (two delectable scoops—no guilt). With the sunshine, the scenery and the fresh Italian air, Christine and I strolled along the ancient almond colored streets, and made our way through Italian history and splendor.

Of course, wine and pizza followed for dinner…and I couldn’t have been happier with such great company.Christine, Padova and I were off to the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Happy Travels,

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment